[Cryptography] Speculation re Intel HW cockup; reqs. OS rewrites & slow execution

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Jan 4 22:12:20 EST 2018

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 6:16 PM Tom Mitchell <mitch at niftyegg.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:
>
>> At 01:32 PM 1/4/2018, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
>> >The fix is not to abandon speculative execution, but to do it right, and
>> chances are that doing it right is going to be faster and more efficient,
>> not slower and less efficient.
>>
>> OK, I'll bite.
>>
>> How would you do speculative execution "right" ?
>>

> One  is to make sure we know which of the multitude of problems
> is being discussed.
>
> Two is to have more (or less) registers to speculate into.  Speculation
> depths of 200+ instructions touches at a lot of stuff and has
> a lot of results that may need to be canceled and unwound.

> No easy answer.   Time to dust off my system and computer architecture
> library.

There is a nice near forty page discussion in Hennessy and Paterson
“Computer Archecture a Quantitave Approach”

Hardware, software and compilers get involved.
There are some gcc and .asm file changes going in
and some make sense after reviewing H&P.

There are multiple issues and comments have been redacted so it is
hard to apply things nicely one to one...

--
Tinny keyboard.. Mobile ... I am