[Cryptography] Fast handling of IP Address changes for HTTPS

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Jan 2 17:16:37 EST 2018

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017, Christian Huitema wrote:

[...]

>> Before that I was on ADSL2+, again with a static IP (the same one).
>
> Yes, static IP addresses are convenient when you want to run a server at
> home, but there is a downside. The static IP address is a pretty good
> unique identifier. It will be present in every web transaction, every
> email trace, every VOIP connection. Some of us consider that a huge
> privacy issue, and actually prefer services in which the ISP regularly
> renumbers the connection. Not that changing IP address is sufficient to
> keep your browsing private, but it is a necessary first step.

Perhaps the gauge of my tinfoil hat isn't as heavy as it ought to be, but
most of the time I'm not as concerned about privacy as some; my email
address is clearly visible in the headers as is my IP address, and my
residential address can be found from a simple "whois" (I live in a
reasonably safe country (we don't walk around armed to the teeth), with a
fairly trustworthy government (ditto)).

That said, I do employ privacy measures when required; I am not in the
phone directory hence my Caller ID is suppressed (but I can enable it when
I want the callee to know that it's me), I rarely use the mobile phone for
voice calls (I know that I can be tracked with it, but that's the least of
my worries), I never supply my name and address on the Census (yeah, it's
illegal), and if I want email anonymity I would use a freemail account
(which I also know can be traced if anyone cared enough).

In short: yes, I'm concerned about privacy, but no, I'm yet to visit an
aluminium milliner.