[Cryptography] Fast handling of IP Address changes for HTTPS

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Mon Jan 1 14:08:44 EST 2018

On 12/31/2017 05:03 PM, Christian Huitema wrote in part:
>  static IP addresses are convenient when you want to run a server at
> home, but there is a downside. The static IP address is a pretty good
> unique identifier. It will be present in every web transaction, every
> email trace, every VOIP connection. Some of us consider that a huge
> privacy issue, and actually prefer services in which the ISP regularly
> renumbers the connection. Not that changing IP address is sufficient to
> keep your browsing private, but it is a necessary first step.

If you are running a server (at home or otherwise),
then in many cases the static IP is a feature not
a bug.

If you want people to be able to find your server,
then you have to have a DNS entry that points to
it ... and the DNS name has to be reasonably stable
over time.

 -- If reverse-DNS is working, every script kiddie
  can reverse your IP to find the DNS name, archive
  the name, and use that to identify you forever.

 -- Even if you think you have turned off reverse
  DNS, if you utter the server name in public,
  the big data companies will do a forward DNS
  lookup, match your IP address (whether static
  or not) and boom, all your traffic is identified.

 -- et cetera.

If you are serious about hiding, you need something
/at least/ as complicated as TOR (and I'm not 100%
sure how much I trust TOR).  Rotating your IP address
is barely even security theater.

The same issue arises with mobile phones, only
much worse.

The word "supercookie" is sometimes applied to this
problem.

If you want to have a server and some measure of
anonymity at the same time, that's called "dark
web" and requires advanced, specialized techniques.