[Cryptography] Hashgraph

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Mon Jan 1 12:44:07 EST 2018

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Ismail Kizir <ikizir at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wish a happy new year for everyone.
> And I want to ask:
> I haven't read anyone mentioning about Hashgraph on the list:
> It's a very fast and promising technology. Better than blockchain, it
> seems.
> The only weakness, as far as  I could understand so far, is that they
> need the consensus of 2/3 of the nodes.
>
> https://hashgraph.com/

​It is not clear what SwirlID are claiming. They certainly cannot claim the
idea of cross linking multiple independent Harber-Stornetta notary logs.
People have been discussing approaches to doing that for years. The
original CT specs had in them the notion of chattering between the logs to
bind them into one.

I am not sure why consensus is desirable other than trying to reconstruct
Blockchain ideology without mining.

​Let us say BofA, Chase and Barclays are running a notary chain and they
cross notarize every hour. All that means is that when I make a
transaction, on the BofA chain, then BofA could in theory repudiate it in a
60 minute (max) window and for that 60 minutes I have to trust BofA. So
what? I already trust my banks with my money.