[Cryptography] Decrypting the Encryption Debate

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Mon Dec 10 09:42:02 EST 2018

At 10:55 AM 11/28/2018, Aram Perez via cryptography wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>If you register you can download this report for free:
>
>https://www.nap.edu/catalog/25010/decrypting-the-encryption-debate-a-framework-for-decision-makers

I laughed out loud when I read this quote from page 92, where the
author (or his/her spelling corrector) makes this Freudian slip/Kinsley
Gaffe:

"Any measure for ensuring government access to plaintext is liable to
be misused, whether accidentally or deliberately. ... It is therefore
important that the approach be subject to effective and continuing
evaluation and oversight and include a robust and assured audit
mechanism that supports detection of misuse ... This will help
... guard against relying on and investing ***scare*** resources in
approaches that do not work ..."

The FBI's "scare resources" are apparently in short supply ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_gaffe

A Kinsley gaffe occurs when a political gaffe reveals some truth that
a politician did not intend to admit.  The term comes from journalist
Michael Kinsley, who said, "A gaffe is when a politician tells the
truth -- some obvious truth he isn't supposed to say."