[Cryptography] What if Responsible Encryption Back-Doors Were Possible?

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Sat Dec 8 14:09:32 EST 2018

It's probably obvious but seems to get forgotten a lot
by all sides in this discussion, so...

On 07/12/2018 22:21, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> We need a system for accessing the systems of a few dangerous criminals
> that allows the government

There are O(200) governments in the world, yet all depend
on the same mathematics (no matter what they think in Oz:-)
and we all use the same Internet. Those are important reasons
why there is no such thing as a responsible back-door. Were
one to exist it'd have to work for all the entities involved
at once, (or be "irresponsible") and given that some of those
countries are adversaries...

In fact, my estimate is that there are O(10^5) different
LEA-like entities who'd perhaps like to use a back door if one
considers the number of separate fiefdoms within different
countries. So it's a lot worse than just countries.

Cheers,
S.