[Cryptography] What if Responsible Encryption Back-Doors Were Possible?

Bill Stewart billstewart at pobox.com
Mon Dec 3 03:11:28 EST 2018

On 12/2/2018 10:13 AM, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>> I.e. for law enforcement to use all kinds of vendors to exploit a bug on your
>> phone to get all of your the data, generally not even related to the case.
>
> A warrant is required and it is expected that the judge that signs the
> warrant ensures that it is not unreasonable.
> The people obtaining the warrant have to say what they expect to find,
> and why they expect to find it...

If the system doesn't provide a technical mechanism to require the
warrant (PKI design for judges' signatures left as an exercise to the
reader), then a warrant is NOT required, it's just suggested,
a SHOULD or even a MAY instead of a MUST.
That's especially true for the "poking around at what else is in the
phone" side of the problem, beyond the parts covered in a warrant.