[Cryptography] [TLS] ETSI releases standards for enterprise security and data centre management

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Sat Dec 1 19:23:10 EST 2018

On 01/12/2018 09:10, Dmitry Belyavsky wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> JFYI. Via Feisti Duck nerwsletter.
>
> https://www.etsi.org/news-events/news/1358-2018-11-press-etsi-releases-standards-for-enterprise-security-and-data-centre-management

Yes, it is a shame that ETSI's role in transport security
appears to be to stick their noses in the trough of cast-off
proposals that didn't garner IETF consensus due to insecurity.

I hope that that properly (i.e., negatively), influences
people's opinions of ETSI, and of any government or industry
body so easily open to capture. Put another way, the IETF's
imperfect but terrifically open process considered this for
more than a year, (once there were people who raised the
topic, no matter how ineptly) and concluded there was no
consensus to even start such work, whereas ETSI appear to
have picked up those droppings and started and finished their
"standardisation" "process" (ironic quoting intended:-) in
roughly the same amount of time an open process requires to
conclude that such proposals are rubbish.

> The eTLS key exchange shall use exactly the same messages and procedures to

I also hope the IETF aren't shy about enforcing copyright
on the name TLS. (Not that I understand copyright;-)

Cheers,
S.