[Cryptography] Need a list of Solinas/pseudo Mersene Primes.

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Thu Aug 30 11:39:59 EDT 2018

I am using Shamir secret sharing as a recovery mechanism for private keys
and would like to extend this to recover quantum resistant keys. As a
result, I need a nice round prime greater than 2^256.

Finding a nice round prime smaller than 2^256 is easy, 2^255-2^19-1. But I
need 2^256-x. I was looking for lists of Solinas primes but can't find one
with what I need.

Anyone got a pointer?

For public key crypto, AES256 with a key derived from a 128 bit secret
seems sufficient as with Quantum attacks in view, I can't expect my public
key to present a higher work factor than 2^128. Since the size of recovery
shares does matter quite a bit, I think 128 bit shares are appropriate.

For quantum, I really need 256 bits to justify the exercise at all. Now I
could just do two 128 bit polynomials but that seems like a hack to me and
I would have to describe and test both code paths.

I have completely re-written most of the Mesh documentation. You can review
the first installment of this work here. DARE (Data At Rest Encryption)
message and container are designed to work together to support incremental
encryption and authentication. Think of it as blockchain that you can use
to encrypt as well.

So imagine you have a server, it writes 100 entries to the log every
second. We do not want to do a key exchange for every entry as these would
be larger than the log entries. The DARE format allows us to do one key
exchange when the server starts and then use it for as long as it likes. It
is even possible for multiple servers to write to the same log under
separate master keys.

http://mathmesh.com/Documents/draft-hallambaker-dare-message.html
http://mathmesh.com/Documents/draft-hallambaker-dare-container.html

I may well cut out some of the container types. At the moment there are
five different types depending on whether they have a chained digest,
Merkle digest or no digest and whether they have a tree index or not. The
chain is probably not very useful.

I am now writing the fun document that describes all the features that are
new to PKI in the Mesh. They are not new to crypto of course but we have
not moved the state of crypto we use in the public domain much since PGP
made public key crypto for email practical apart from BitCoin adopting 30
year old hash chain technology.

The new technology includes:

* Shamir secret sharing for recovery of master private keys.
* Distributed key generation/Proxy re-encryption to support group access to
data.
* Co-generation of public key pairs to mitigate risks of weak key
generation.
* Quantum resistant signatures to enable recovery in the case someone makes
quantum computing practical.

I would much appreciate review of these documents and if we are going to
make them industry standards, expressions of interest in the IETF.

Designing a new cryptographic message format is not something to be done
lightly. PKCS7 has served us well. BUT, I can't add even half of these
capabilities to PKCS7 without losing backwards compatibility. And it is
difficult enough coping with the complexity resulting from the
cryptographic issues without also having to consider backwards
compatibility. If people really really want to add these capabilities back
into legacy formats, lets at least do the design in a clean environment.