[Cryptography] Should you trust Intel ?

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Wed Aug 29 13:23:45 EDT 2018

FYI --

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/28/linux_419_trust/

Linux 4.19 lets you declare your trust in AMD, IBM and Intel

Wave the the CPU trust flag if you're feeling safe enough

By Thomas Claburn in San Francisco 28 Aug 2018 at 07:01

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/29/intel_jtag_flaw/

Intel Management Engine JTAG flaw proof-of-concept published

"God Mode" requires special USB debugging connector

By Thomas Claburn in San Francisco 29 Aug 2018 at 00:15

--------

Probably not.

First article describes how you can turn off Intel's HW RNG.

Second article shows how to hack Intel CPU's via USB & JTAG.

I suspect that this is just the beginning of JTAG-type hacks on CPU's from all vendors.  I spoke recently with a TI IoT chip designer about JTAG, and he seemed clueless, so perhaps TI chips would be a good place to start looking?