[Cryptography] A new method to (partly) factorize RSA 250 and other large copmposite numbers

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Aug 20 02:12:18 EDT 2018

What order you try factors in doesn't actually matter.  You can start
from just under the squareroot and work your way down, or you can start
from zero and work your way up.  And assuming that the factor has the
same number of digits as the squareroot, or one digit less, you won't
be checking any fewer factors, on average.

Using Euler's method to check for common factors with a very large
number made by multiplying many factors together is one of those ideas
that keeps coming up because it's clever, but doesn't help much.  And,
to the extent that it does help at all, there is already an equivalent
to it which is part of the General Number Field Sieve algorithm.

The very large composites you want to check for common factors against,
must be of a size that's hard to communicate relative to the number
you're trying to factor, and the sheer scale of the operations required
to do Euler's method, even on the first step, makes the operation as
hard as known methods of factoring.

I apologize for using a tricky phrase like "orders of magnitude more
orders of magnitude more digits" if English is not your first language.
Even most native English speakers would gloss over it as mathematical
jargon or, if they understood it, dismiss it as impossible hyperbole.

But please work through that phrase, because it is literally true and
you need to understand what it means to see what is wrong with this
idea.  That is the only "simple" phrase I can think of to that
accurately states the scale of the constructed composite you'd be
checking against for common factors, relative to the composite you're
trying to factor.

				Bear