[Cryptography] Throwing dice for "random" numbers

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Aug 15 10:20:46 EDT 2018

Blimey; I didn't think that I would start such a long thread!  Rather than
reply to each and every one (which would only go exponential with replies
in turn etc), I'll wait until it appears to have settled down then post a
summary (for the benefit of the archives if anything else).

I've picked up an astonishing amount of information in the meantime (that
being the purpose of this list), but basically I was cruising a discount
shop, saw these things, and immediately thought of crypto applications,
whether "secure" or not (for certain definitions of "secure"), and it
occurred to me that it's not as simple as it seems, with the generated
output (e.g. modulo 10) not being as uniform as one would hope.

So if the moderator could just hold off closing this thread...

-- Dave