[Cryptography] Krugman blockchain currency skepticism

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Aug 6 02:11:43 EDT 2018

On 05/08/2018 13:27, Peter Todd wrote:
> This would be a much better argument if Chaum-style e-cash actually existed.
>
> Currently it doesn't, which makes me think there must be a downside you're not thinking about.

The downside of Chaumian e-cash is very simple.  You need a single
centralized trusted server holding a small number unshared secrets.  At
two in the morning Mueller kicks down your door and demands you alter
the behavior of your server in ways that make it profoundly
untrustworthy.  While he is at, holds a gun to your head and takes the
secrets, charges you with tax fraud, money laundering, etc, and puts you
in solitary confinement pending trial so as to make it impossible to
organize your defense.

A crypto currency needs to be centerless - it needs to able to survive
the seizure of key servers by a hostile powerful party.

Trouble with bitcoin is that it is not centerless - proof of work winds
up being centralized in a small number of extremely powerful and
extremely expensive computers.

Thus we need a system with proof of stake, and not only proof of stake,
but proof of client stake - the power over the system needs to reside
with peers that have a lot of wealthy clients - and it needs to be hard
to find who the clients are, and where they are keeping their secrets,
so that even if Mueller seizes important peers on charges of tax evasion
and money laundering, does not thereby gain control.