[Cryptography] Perfect Integrity?

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Fri Aug 3 13:33:41 EDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Alexandre Anzala-Yamajako <
anzalaya at gmail.com> wrote:

> The short answer is : yes.
> You can find some examples here https://crypto.stackexchange.
> com/questions/43659/information-theoretic-message-authentication-code-mac
> I believe that any Wegman-Carter MAC where the key is changed after every
> use gives you information theoritic security.

I don't think they do. Rather, I think they provide you with a bounded
proof of security that depends on some safe but real assumptions.

The integrity equivalent to a One Time Pad is to keep a copy of the data
itself as evidence of integrity. Like an OTP, perfectly secure and
perfectly useless.

Apart from applications like RAID1 mirroring and such that is.

Cryptography is really about compressing the security problem scope.
Instead of protecting all these terrorbytes of data, I just have to protect
a few little bits of key.