[Cryptography] Data erasure by erasure of a salt

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Mon Apr 30 12:55:04 EDT 2018

I am just working on the DARE (Data At Rest Enhancement) spec and was
interested to know what the Quantum difficulty of a particular attack would
be.

The basic concept of DARE is that we perform one master key agreement and
then apply the result to multiple Enhanced Data Sequences:

"A DARE message MAY contain multiple Enhanced Data Sequences. The message
body, cloaked headers, annotations and signature values are all presented
as Enhanced Data Sequences"

The reason I like this approach is that it provides a simple and
straightforward means of supporting features that are really essential in
application messaging such as the ability to encrypt the subject line and
message body separately and to encrypt signature values etc.

Unlike in other formats, each Enhanced Data Sequence is encrypted under a
unique key and IV. These are derived from the Master Key by means of HKDF
and a salt that is unique to that EDS.

So if we are constructing a message we can very easily ensure that each
salt is unique: Just use a counter and increment by 1 for each EDS we
generate.

But when we get to the message body, we might want to be able to
effectively erase the body by erasing the salt value:

"For data erasure to be effective, the salt must be constructed so that the
difficulty of recovering the key is sufficiently high that it is
infeasible. For most purposes, a salt with 128 bits of appropriately random
data will be sufficient."

Now the neat thing here is that even if I am using AES-256, a salt of 128
bits is almost certainly sufficient because it is a 'hard' workfactor. We
are literally deleting that part of the key. 2^128 is an infeasible work
factor, the only reason to go higher is because we worry about the
algorithm not being as good as we think, not because someone could build a
machine that could break a workfactor that size.

Or can they? Does Shorr's algorithm mean I need to go longer or does the
same argument apply?