[Cryptography] Will We Ever Learn?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Mon Apr 16 08:00:00 EDT 2018

On 04/13/2018 08:01 PM, Ryan Carboni wrote:
> The Morris worm was in 1988. That's all you need to know about what is
> really going on with internet security.
>  A worm crashed the internet, and everyone's response is to do nothing.
> That wasn't 2017, that was 1988.

Notice how you had to call it the Morris worm?

Before Microsoft Windows was internet capable, it was simply called The
Internet Worm. As in, the one, singular. Now, you have to call it the
Morris worm to differentiate it from all the Windows worms that have
come since.

And I would say the response has been anything but "do nothing." If I
remember right, Morris was criminally prosecuted even though there were
no specific laws against computer viruses/worms in 1988.

My response to the parade of Windows worms was to quit running Windows
on my own PCs, which is one of the smartest decisions I've ever made.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com