[Cryptography] Claimed Breakthrough Slays Classic Computing Problem; Encryption Could Be Next

Tamzen Cannoy tamzen at cannoy.org
Mon Apr 16 01:33:54 EDT 2018

> On Apr 15, 2018, at 8:17 PM, Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> Aram Perez <aramperez at mac.com> writes:
>
>> A professor who created an algorithm that may overturn an orthodoxy of
>> computer science has the field’s experts excited. The rest of the story:
>> https://www.technologyreview.com/s/543511/claimed-breakthrough-slays-classic-computing-problem-encryption-could-be-next/
>
> Let's wait for the third lecture, the publication of his paper(s), and the six
> to twelve months it usually takes for someone to either find the flaw in the
> proof or show that it can't be mapped onto the factoring problem in a manner
> more efficient than solving the factoring problem directly.
>
> Peter.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/graph-isomorphism-vanquished-again-20170114/ <https://www.quantamagazine.org/graph-isomorphism-vanquished-again-20170114/>

He fixed an error a year ago but it’s still not certain.

I’ve seen people give rump session talks at IACR conferences that break talks to be presented the next day.

Tamzen