[Cryptography] The surest way to prevent WPA3

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Tue Apr 10 08:26:08 EDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 3:09 PM, Ryan Carboni <ryacko at gmail.com> wrote:

> The surest way to prevent WPA3 is to demand 256-bit encryption instead of
> 192-bit.

​And why would you want to do that?​

I did try to get to the IAD site to read the specs but their cert is not
trusted and so the idiot browser won't let me see the page. It would let me
see the page without any encryption of course.

The CNSA suite looks like it is the standard NIST set which is mostly OK.
Certainly fine for link layer encryption as anything of important should be
protected at the transport layer. The NIST curves are not fashionable but
they are almost certainly OK. The generation approach was not ideal but it
isn't the worst security issue we face right now and the WiFi alliance will
almost certainly move to the CFRG curves when NIST does.