[Cryptography] letsencrypt.org

Viktor Dukhovni cryptography at dukhovni.org
Thu Sep 14 02:23:55 EDT 2017

> On Sep 13, 2017, at 9:50 PM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
>> Given their reasonably clear and transparent practices, I'd
>> be pleased if they became the *only* non-EV CA on the market.
>> The price is right, and the security is about as good as it
>> gets with DV.  The commercial CAs can then focus on properly
>> verifying the minority of customers who need EV certs.
>
> This is the crux of the matter.  Everything that is wrong with LE is
> also wrong with the other DV providers, and LE is cheaper and appears
> quite competent.

Yep, nice to see that you concur...

> PS: It occurs to me that LE makes the case for DANE a lot weaker.

If the case for DANE were the price of CA certificates, then indeed
you'd be right.  For me the case for DANE is not the price.

* DANE is a more secure DV, since there's no leap of faith, the
  keys are published via the login account that controls the domain.

* DANE supports downgrade resistant policy signalling for opportunistic
  TLS, which is well suited to SMTP.

But we digress...

--
	Viktor.