[Cryptography] After Equifax pwning, what is the best means for replacing the SSN?

Tony Patti crypto at glassblower.info
Wed Sep 13 21:57:26 EDT 2017

'Benjamin Kreuter'; 'erik'; 'cryptography at metzdowd.com' wrote:

> Why?  Banks are more than capable of keeping track of their customers; social security numbers are just one of many ways that banks do so, and I doubt most banks would have difficulty dealing with customers not having one.

This article from the NY Times dated March 2013 suggests otherwise, and says that 20 of the top 25 banks REQUIRED SSN to open a bank account.
https://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/20/just-5-banks-prohibit-use-of-social-security-numbers/
The article starts with a prescient statement: "Despite the risk of fraud associated with the theft of Social Security numbers..."

Tony