[Cryptography] letsencrypt.org

Robin Wood robin at digi.ninja
Wed Sep 13 17:23:21 EDT 2017

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017, 22:01 John Denker via cryptography <
cryptography at metzdowd.com> wrote:

> On 09/13/2017 11:18 AM, Bayuk asked:
>
> > Has anyone on this list contributed to  https://letsencrypt.org/ -
> and/or
> > otherwise have personal experience, caveats, recommendations with
> respect to
> > the current service or roadmap?
>
> Executive summary:  I'm a happy customer.
>
> I have used the service for quite a while, since early beta days.
>
> I haven't cryptanalyzed it, but it seems quite solidly built.
> They're not aiming for top-level NATO-nuclear security, but
> within the bounds of what they claim to do, they seem to take
> security very seriously.
>
> I contributed a few very minor suggestions concerning the UI.
> The UI has slowly but steadily gotten better over time.  It
> is still not super-easy to use;  I would classify it as more
> wizard-friendly than muggle-friendly.  The results require
> some post-processing to make them fit into my not-very-complex
> site.
>
> That is to say, there was an initial learning curve, but by
> now renewals have become easy and completely routine for me.
> I have about 800 lines of localized instructions and scripts
> to help me with this.

That is a lot of scripts. I've been using LE for about a year and I use an
Apache based variant of the scripts Scott talks about in this blog post and
a second one it references.

https://scotthelme.co.uk/lets-encrypt-smart-renew/

I always get a little worried when the 3 month renewal comes around but the
email from cron with the success messages always come in on time.

Robin