[Cryptography] letsencrypt.org

John Ioannidis ji at tla.org
Wed Sep 13 17:14:16 EDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Bayuk <jennifer at bayuk.com> wrote:

> Has anyone on this list contributed to  https://letsencrypt.org/ - and/or
> otherwise have personal experience, caveats, recommendations with respect
> to the current service or roadmap?

I haven't contributed, but I use it for some non-critical services. I like
the fire-and-almost-forget approach, and in particular how it will
temporarily run its own mini-server to pull the certs and put them in the
right place. I don't mind taking the corresponding service down for a few
seconds every few months to renew the cert the easy way, but they do
provide recipes for how to set up things like nginx to do it automatically.

I'll let someone else rant about the current state of affairs wrt CAs and
what they will do for money :)

/ji