[Cryptography] early archives of cypherpunks?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Sep 4 03:47:25 EDT 2017

On 09/03/2017 04:18 PM, Sidney Markowitz wrote:
> Ray Dillinger wrote on 4/09/17 6:10 AM:
>> I believe that the earliest description of a cryptocurrency or digital
>> cash protocol that used block chains (in some form) was published on
>> cypherpunks in the years between 1993 and 1995.  But I don't have an
>> archive of the messages; I only have my memory of what was in those
>> messages.
>
> Three of the top four results of a google search for "cypherpunks archive"
> seem to be complete copies of 1992-1998.
>
> https://cypherpunks.venona.com/
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/cypherpunks@cpunks.org/msg00616.html
>
> Multiple sources combined:

Much appreciated.  At first blush though, I haven't been able to find
the protocol description I'm pretty sure I remember.  At least not
there.  So now I'm wondering if I just need better search-fu, or if it
was actually on a different list entirely.

Did the Metzdowd list exist in the 1993-1995 timeframe?  'cos if so and
if it really wasn't on cpunx, then by process of elimination it was
probably here.  I chased the Metzdowd archives back to March of 2001
and the first message there says the list is coming back after a
four-week hiatus ....

					Bear