[Cryptography] How Google's Physical Keys Will Protect Your Password

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Oct 30 17:53:59 EDT 2017

On 10/30/17 at 12:15 PM, cryptography at dukhovni.org (Viktor
Dukhovni) wrote:

>>On Oct 30, 2017, at 4:08 AM, Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>>
>>Somewhat less snarkily, is there anything actually novel here, or is it just
>>really old news that's new again because the term "Google" is attached?  I
>>can't see anything to get excited about.  It's not even "Google's Keys", it's
>>someone else's stuff that Google has adopted.
>
>The real question is whether it gets widespread adoption.  Often
>the real novelty is figuring out how to get things deployed in
>practice.  Time will tell whether this effort to get beyond
>passwords will gain some traction.

This situation may be similar to the discovery of America.
Columbus was not the first person to discover America, he was
the last. After he "discovered" it, no one else could make a
credible claim of discovery.

If Google leads average users to better security hygiene, the
online world will be safer. They may be thought of as the last
to discover hardware security tokens, although they may have
made some significant advances in account recovery procedures
for the general Internet.

Cheers - Bill