[Cryptography] Transactional software updates

John Ioannidis ji at tla.org
Tue Oct 24 23:27:50 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill at hallambaker.com
> wrote:

> (Also posted to SUIT which is a proposed IETF WG on the topic, I
> thought it might be of interest here).
>

> I don't know about you, but I am fed up of the time it takes for
> software updates on my desktop. First the update has to be downloaded
> and then it has to be installed. Why can't this be instantaneous?

What is preventing all this from happening is most certainly not a lack of
an appropriate cryptographic container format (nor is it a dearth of free
disk space, for that matter).

There are way too many software engineering and people engineering issues,
and lots of partial solutions, but it is not a cryptography problem so I
shall refrain from discussing it any further. There are appropriate fora
for such discussions.

/ji