[Cryptography] [FORGED] Re: Severe flaw in WPA2 protocol leaves Wi-Fi traffic open to eavesdropping

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 18 01:39:15 EDT 2017

Salz, Rich <rsalz at akamai.com> writes:

>>   yet another reason why RC4-equivalent
>>   ciphers like GCM should be banned (we finally got rid of RC4, and now we're
>>   busy reintroducing it under another name)
>
>For the benefit of similar non-experts on this list, I just want to point out
>that Peter’s assertion that GCM is just like RC4 is one that is not widely
>shared.

  RC4 is a stream cipher for which key/nonce reuse results in a catastrophic
  failure of the cryptosystem.

  GCM is a stream cipher for which key/nonce reuse results in a catastrophic
  failure of the cryptosystem.

For the benefit of similar non-experts on this list, could you please point
out which cryptographers disagree with that?  Since the view that they fail
the same way is one that is not widely shared, there must be lots of names you
can cite to support this.

(The reason for asking for names is so I can avoid any cryptosystem they've
designed).

Peter.