[Cryptography] Altcoin volume

iang iang at iang.org
Mon Oct 2 01:02:34 EDT 2017

On 25/09/2017 19:50, James A. Donald wrote:

> The way it should work is that an angel investor funds development to
> the point where he actually has a working proof of stake blockchain,
> then issues stake to himself, and to people working on the project,
> and to people promoting the use of the crypto coins, and proceeds to
> sell some of his stake to first round investors. That would be a
> genuine initial coin offering. But this is not what EOS is doing.  All
> it has is a white paper.  If you buy into the EOS ICO, you are paying
> a mighty large amount of money for a white paper.

Or, if you are in FOSS the way it should work is that someone who has a
bright idea should work on a new system in their own time. When it is
getting somewhere they should get enlightened, steal time from the day
job and their family life, hole up in a cave and make it so.  As they're
now unemployed and single their code moves fast. When the first
prototype is released, the whole world collectively goes WOW and
everyone starts to contribute, because that's what FOSS does.  A team
built, versions come out, people are very happy.  Then a corporation
comes along and hires the original author (who's very thin by now) just
to only work on the product.  Life is good.  An economy emerges.

Or, if you're a financier, you take your hot slide deck to Sand Hill
Road and trawl around trying to fight this month's meme because you
actually developed a meme that isn't current for this month, so you have
a *lot* of explaining to do.  Eventually you find a VC who cuts you a
little check for a huge piece and you spend the lot on hired programmers
(lots nearby in the valley) and also replacing them as they seem to pop
in and out of all the hot startups.  Finally you put out a demo and your
Series A investor convinces you why it is in your best interest to start
the whole process again for your Series B round.  Etc...

Or, maybe you're a traditionalist and you live in ma&pa's garage and
program away with a little money from family.  Eventually you get enough
servers up to get going and bring in customers.  It's all friends &
family funded, no debt, no outside equity.  But it grows slowly so there
is frustration.

Or........

Then there is ICOs.

Without commenting on EOS for the moment, the ICO market seems to have
boomed because of several factors:  the shortage of "I get it"
investors, the ocean of "I've a bright idea" kids, the compliance
nightmare, the FOSS absence of a way to pay for people to do the right
thing, the rise of the Ethereum price to the point where sudden new
wealth had to diversify because it knew it was crazy, the shocking price
of garages today, and the humongous promise of Ethereum versus the
equally enourmous shortage of actual real measurable results.

Within that context, the EOS auction process (not ICO) was designed to
solve some issues experienced in the past - primarily to neuter the pump
& dump, and the recognition that some fair distribution over time is
required in order to build a community.  EOS auction process was also
heavily informed by what went wrong (and right) with Bitshares (not
enough money, pump & dump) and Steemit (too much concentration, pump &
dump).

It is recognised, or should be recognised, that there is no one true way
to do this.  Apologies to all.  Cryptography has created a chaotic
market, and those who have read the old cypherpunk material should not
be surprised that it's noisy and opinionated and still experimental :-)

iang

ps; cryptography didn't really create this market.  People created the
market, and crypto just provided some essential components...