[Cryptography] Transparent remote file access

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Nov 30 22:25:41 EST 2017

On 12/1/2017 12:00 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> ​I would rather poke my eyes out with a stick than use LDAP.​

I am part of a group of people that are concerned that we might be
survielled by Google and the United States Government, and our IT guy is
planning to implement LDAP for single sign in.

Could you direct me to something that lists concerns?

As I understand it, LDAP is just a database optimized for certain kinds
of lookups, which are the lookups one is apt to do when people sign in.

you seem to suggest that someone hostile might find the LDAP database
handy and relatively easy to access and control.

The proposed LDAP database will be in the cloud, which does not strike
me as a very good idea if one is worried about surveillance.  Should be
in someone's closet, in a private home, with backups onto blueray from
time to time, with blueray disks sent around by snail mail. But I am too
lazy and busy to implement this myself, also I frequently travel,
generally between one country with terrible internet, to another country
with worse internet.  So someone else is implementing security in the cloud.

---