[Cryptography] Rubber-hose resistance?

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Thu Nov 30 16:11:01 EST 2017

At 01:23 AM 11/30/2017, Neuhaus Stephan (neut) wrote:
>There is no such thing as plausible deniability.  Or rather, there is no such thing in the real world.  For example, if you hand over your USB stick and the authorities find a TrueCrypt volume on it which, however, seems to contain only innocuous data, do you really think that the customs official will hand it back to you with a smile and a wink?

I often run the "F3" (Fix Fake Flash) program on new usb stix and SD cards.

https://fixfakeflash.wordpress.com/

F3 works by writing a crypto quality PRNG over the entire drive/card and then reading it back to check whether the entire stream of bits can be read back exactly.

If the PRNG is of true crypto quality, then no lossless compressor can possibly compress this data to fit into a smaller space, so the drive/card is guaranteed to have the capacity that it advertises to the Linux driver.

However, since F3 completely fills the drive/card with random bits, the drive/card might now look suspicious to those with too little drama in their lives.