[Cryptography] Intel Management Engine pwnd

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Nov 29 22:21:50 EST 2017

On 11/29/2017 12:58 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
> It uses a built-in, on-chip NIC.  The ME literally intercepts IP packets
> that are protocol TCP with destination ports matching the ones that the
> ME listens on.  If you don't connect that NIC to any networks, you'll be
> fine.

So it gets the packets before the operating system software does.

But can you avoid connecting that NIC?

I use the built in ethernet connector on the motherboard.  Pretty sure
that those packets are being intercepted by the Intel Management Engine.

If I install a network interface controller purchased from Ebay, would
that leave the Intel Management Engine high and dry?.

---