[Cryptography] Intel Management Engine pwnd

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Nov 29 19:24:30 EST 2017

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017, Henry Baker wrote:

> Ever since I got my latest Windoze laptop last year, I noticed that it
> didn't retain all of its battery charge when *powered down*.

Same thing with my mobile ("cellular" to you Americans) phone; I can
understand my iPad doing the same thing, but it doesn't even have a power
switch (and neither does my cordless handset).  You bet I'm paranoid...

> I soon discovered that this laptop did retain nearly all of its charge
> *when I removed the battery*.

But would it still be radiating, courtesy of an internal battery or a
supercap?

> So clearly, something below the operating system continues to run, and
> run quite vigorously, in order to continue running down the battery.

Well, at the very least it has to maintain the time...