[Cryptography] Is ASN.1 still the thing?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Nov 22 01:21:39 EST 2017

On 11/22/2017 7:05 AM, Nico Williams wrote:
> Sure.  But again, would you rather respond to this by:
>
> a) building a new spec and tools for it,
>
> or
>
> b) building tools for the existing spec

As I said, there are more serializer and deserializer systems around
than I can shake stick at, and I have no intention of building yet another.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel.  I want a standard for wheels to
protect me from having to think about what a wheel should look like, and
a library that provides me with ready made working wheels.

And the first I looked at or, rather looked for, was ASN/1 byte aligned
canonical per, it was the one I wanted to use, because it was the one
that had been used for similar purpose already, and I could not find
support for it.

ASN/1 has to compete with stuff like Apache Avro, and Apache Avro has,
or at least claims to have, open source libraries to do all the stuff I
want, plus stuff that future implementers might want to do with my stuff
if it is a big success.

---