[Cryptography] Is ASN.1 still the thing?

Neuhaus Stephan (neut) neut at zhaw.ch
Mon Nov 20 03:48:22 EST 2017

On 2017-11-20 09:25, "cryptography on behalf of Ron Garret" <cryptography-bounces+neut=zhaw.ch at metzdowd.com on behalf of ron at flownet.com> wrote:

> [...]

> This is the reason I designed my serialization format so that LengthA is a count of the number of fields, not the
> total length of the structure.  (I am obsessive about DRY code and designs.)

You may also want to look at IPFIX (RFC 7011), which is a self-describing format for network measurements. It is similar in spirit, but by necessity has to be a bit more general. Except for the provisions for IPFIX over UDP (which don’t really work), I think it does quite well.

(Disclaimer: I have worked closely with one of that RFC’s primary authors and have written a --- he says modestly --- really fast parser for it.)

Fun,

Stephan