[Cryptography] Is ASN.1 still the thing?

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Sun Nov 19 20:31:40 EST 2017

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 07:58:43PM -0500, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> I have written four ASN.1 decoders or encoders over the years. I am
> very familiar with the scheme and that is why I simply don't use it
> for any new work.

No, you've written 4 BER/DER codecs.  But that's NOT ASN.1, that's just
BER/DER.  All TLV encodings are garbage.  That includes protocol
buffers.  ASN.1 itself is fine (especially if you ignore all character
string types other than UTF8String), and some of the other encoding
rules are just fine.  It's the encoding rules that are great -- or
problematic.

Nico