[Cryptography] Is ASN.1 still the thing?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Nov 15 03:11:50 EST 2017

On 11/14/2017 12:30 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
> In any case, we've learned not to depend on canonical encodings, so
> canonical encodings are neither here nor there.  We just don't build
> protocols/applications that require repeatable canonical encodings.

I rather think we do depend on repeatable canonical encoding - I want
separate code bases on separate machines to generate the equivalent
checksum for the same transaction, so that they will know it is the same
transaction, and the only value that I derive from ASN.1 is canonical
per, so that I can define a canonical checksum for a data structure that
is likely to be internally different on different machines with
different compilers.

I can get that trivially from XRD, but getting it from ASN.1 seems to
require proprietary tools with arcane licensing requirements that need a
room full of lawyers.

I cannot find an open source tool that generates canonical per.

---