[Cryptography] [FORGED] Re: Is ASN.1 still the thing?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Nov 14 21:03:01 EST 2017

On 11/15/2017 9:35 AM, Nico Williams wrote:
> If nothing else, the ASN.1 specifications series, x.68x (ASN.1) and
> x.69x (encoding rules) are extremely well-written and readable, with
> decades of experience fine-tuning.  That too is an advantate, especially
> now that those are free (and now have been for years).
>
> It is DER (and CER, and to a lesser degree, BER) that sucks, not ASN.1.

Suppose one has a system written in C++ on a server, and you have
another server, running node.js, and your node.js code wants to get at
some information.

There are existing modules that translate data that is Avro apache
encoded to and from something node.js can understand.

I don't see any equivalents for ASN.1 PER.

It is not that I am likely to have any imminent need to talk to node.js,
it is just that I am worried about being marooned in a dying standard.

---