[Cryptography] Is ASN.1 still the thing?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Nov 14 16:46:16 EST 2017

On 11/13/2017 8:57 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:
> This is precisely why I made objecthash: so you hash the parsed
> object, not its serialisation. As a result, objecthash is
> serialisation agnostic.
>
> It turns out this raises problems of its own, the most obvious being
> "what do you mean by an object?" - but still, it seems useful. I will
> be working on a new version starting ... soon.

YAML is JSON cleaned up, both to deal with such issues, and to provide
human readability and editability.

Each YAML document is one object, and is itself a directed graph of objects

They seem to have carefully thought through what it means for one object
to be equal to another.  Just take YAML standards, and generate a hash
that is the same for any two objects that are equal as YAML defines
equality.

---