[Cryptography] "Post-quantum RSA"

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Wed May 24 02:50:46 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Julien Bringer
<julien.bringer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 23 mai 2017 3:05 PM, "Jerry Leichter" <leichter at lrw.com> a écrit :
>
> "Abstract: This paper proposes RSA parameters
>
> The proposed parameters lives in a curious area somewhere between theory and
> practice.  It isn't "theory" because it can't exclude the possibility of
> incrementally faster quantum algorithms for factoring that would destroy the
> tradeoffs.
> I like the message it conveys: do not focus only on using power of quantum
> computers for breaking schemes!

It is interesting that IBM has placed a qubit  machine on the net for
experimentation
by the public recently.   IBM is in the chicken egg stage of things.
Software, tools
and more are needed.  I have not looked up the cost but I suspect the
cost is free
to interesting to IBM researchers and reasonable to others including
the likes of RSA.
Once real hardware is available real progress may happen quickly.
With a hint of progress
the big TLA agencies will be digging into their checkbooks.  The
breakthroughs that Google
and others have made with AI seem to be where industry is making
investments  this year.  Clusters
still rule oil and gas.   I have not seen an industry that can clearly
profit from quantum machines
but that may a lack of imagination on my part.

IBM says:
"IBM Q has successfully built and tested two of its most powerful
universal quantum computing processors to date: 16 qubits for public
use and a 17 qubit prototype commercial processor."
https://www.research.ibm.com/ibm-q/

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l