[Cryptography] Big ugly security problem in post-2008 Intel chipsets.

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Sun May 7 18:38:16 EDT 2017

On Sat, May 06, 2017 at 11:28:38PM -0400, iang wrote:
> On 01/05/2017 22:40, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> Unpopular opinions!  I think there was an element of truth in all that, but
> two things changed - one was the evolution serious criminal gangs which
> industrialised the process.  The second was the rise of cyberwar... although
> the jury's out as to whether this was caused by e.g. Obama's OLYMPICGAMES or
> as a natural evolution, a tit for tat.

Cryptocurrencies have also forced cryptocurrency-related companies to adopt
vastly improved security because theives can directly steal money.

Additionally theres a second, less-obivous effect of the above:
non-cryptocurrency-related companies are getting hacked by theives trying to
gain access to user data that in turn will let them hack other targets with
cryptocurrency holdings. For example, phone companies are frequently getting
social engineered to exploit their customers' 2FA setups, and in turn, exploit
cryptocurrency accounts at stuff like exchanges.