[Cryptography] Google distrusts Symantec for mis-issuing 30, 000 HTTPS certs

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 16:40:44 EDT 2017

On 3/24/17 10:28 AM, Henry Baker wrote:
> While I applaud Google *in this instance*, what happens when Google starts doing evil?

As always, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

> Why should I trust Google?

You shouldn't.  Google is a company (now a collection of companies),
not a person.  Since trust is not transitive, although I trust several
folks at Google, that doesn't mean that I blindly trust Google.

The person who caught this at Google has proven trustworthy, and
Semantic as a company has proven untrustworthy (not the first time).

> Why do I have to trust Google?

You don't.  AFAIK, there's no reason that you cannot use another
provider of HTTPS certificate verification.

However, you know the old saying: Trust but Verify.