[Cryptography] Crypto best practices

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Tue Mar 21 09:44:54 EDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 11:17 PM, Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

> Christian Huitema <huitema at huitema.net> writes:
>
> >How about designing a cipher-mode that combines the robustness of CBC with
> >the safety of AEAD?
>
> There's a whole pile of them, my favourite being OCB, but they're pretty
> much
> all patented.

OCB is patented but:

Filing date Jul 30, 2001
Priority date Oct 12, 2000
Fee status Lapsed
​I will add it to my list that I am working on:​

http://www.defaultdenysecurity.com/Professional/Patents/

​We could contact Phil and put him on notice. Though I rather doubt he
could explain not paying the patent fee for 5 years.

As always, I am not a lawyer, get your own legal advice, etc.

The fee was paid on 8,321,675. So the situation is a little complex. But
all these should expire in Oct 2020.​