[Cryptography] Crypto best practices

Sidney Markowitz sidney at sidney.com
Sun Mar 19 16:44:02 EDT 2017

Jerry Leichter wrote on 20/03/17 2:09 AM:
> The earliest paper I know of that discussed this topic is a real oldie that
> I don't think I'll be able to track down now by Phil Rogoway.

Are you thinking of Phillip Rogaway, "Evaluation of Some Blockcipher
Modes of Operation" http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~rogaway/papers/modes.pdf ?

It's not that old, 2011, and the reference to encrypting the IV with K in CBC
is on page 37 where he refers back to his 2004 paper "Nonce-based symmetric
encryption" http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~rogaway/papers/nonce.pdf and even in
that earlier paper he discusses the attack on it.

I don't think he can have any "real oldie" papers on the topic as his PhD
thesis is as recent as 1991.

 Sidney