[Cryptography] Crypto best practices

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Sun Mar 19 13:15:10 EDT 2017

At 11:41 AM 3/18/2017, Ralf Senderek wrote:
>As always, details matter.
>
>What we need are solutions to specific problems, (like secure authenticated messaging) in which every aspect of the solution can be justified as a necessary part of the secure system's required behaviour.

OK, I'll bite.

Is there a comprehensive white paper (or even better, a long YouTube video) that explains the rationale & architecture of the "Signal" app?

I'm particularly interested in the rationale -- e.g., what guided the various decisions that were made.

Clearly, Signal has learned a lot from Snowden/CIA/etc., so it should be a pretty decent case study of what to do and what not to do.