[Cryptography] encrypting bcrypt hashes

Arnold Reinhold agr at me.com
Wed Mar 15 23:14:41 EDT 2017

> On Mar 14, 2017, at 7:07 AM, Mark Steward <marksteward at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Something needs to be able to read that file, so there's not much difference to a peppered hash, and rate limiting at the data layer is much less useful for security than at the application layer.
>
> You also still need to salt or pepper, as permuting doesn't hide frequencies.
>

> Mark
>

> On 14 Mar 2017 04:24, "Tom Mitchell" <mitch at niftyegg.com <mailto:mitch at niftyegg.com>> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 1:58 AM, Robin Wood <robin at digininja.org <mailto:robin at digininja.org>> wrote:

> >> Again the security depends on the difficulty of exfiltrating such a large
> >> data set, not on a short key that that is relatively easy to steal.
> >

> Also a single file would be opened by a very short list of processes.
> Access control lists apply.  Even advisory access control can be used to
> trigger alerts.
>
> Also the number of active "open" states can also be watched.
>
> So the OS services also come to play.

I do suggest additional randomization in my Rock Salt talk ( https://www.researchgate.net/project/Rock-Salt ), but I was trying to keep this simple for a transitional application. I envision the large file of pseudo-hash values to be kept in an isolated server, with only a restricted connection to the log in servers, a security appliance much like a HSM. Thus there would be no path from the internal or external network to the large file other than fixed format requests from the login server on a dedicated channel. I don’t see how this offers less security than conventional access controls.

Arnold Reinhold