[Cryptography] USB firewall/condom HW/SW

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Mon Mar 13 18:20:49 EDT 2017

All the responses so far have been snarky comments about why you should trust this device.  If you don't trust *this one* - don't buy it.  Or wait until the code has been audited - or audit it yourself.  Sure, the underlying hardware might be hostile - but then that's the case for every USB device out there.  And on top of that, you can't generally trust the software either.

Can we consider the realities of such a device?  Can a useful device like this actually be built?  If I plug a memory stick into it and the firmware has been modified to actually report that it's a keyboard, and it starts typing commands into the console ... how could the USB firewall know?  It sees a device that identifies itself as a valid keyboard.  How can it know that it was supposed to be something else?
                                                        -- Jerry