[Cryptography] Secret Handshake problem.

Joseph Kilcullen kilcullenj at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 13:07:42 EST 2017

> Also known as the "Are you also a Soviet Spy?" problem.

I'm more into game theory and economics than cryptography so I have not
encountered this problem. However a quick Google got this. I posted it
because, like you, I'm interested to hear what people have to say about
this one.

---
From: http://www.socialmatter.net/the-compendium/     “Are You Also a
Soviet Spy”
Refers to the difficult process of finding other reactionaries when
everyone is very quiet about it. Basically, the protocol is to ask
plausibly deniable questions that other reactionaries would answer in an
escalating way until you’re both sure that you’re both reactionaries
without having to ever put your necks out. This is not cryptographically
secure, but the stakes aren’t all that high either.
---

Interesting (real world) a guy once tried to bluff that he was an IT guy
but I did not buy the comments he made. Not espionage but same technical
problem.

J.