[Cryptography] [ANNOUNCE] HashCash Digital Cash

Alfie John alfie at alfie.wtf
Thu Jun 22 02:17:12 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 09:31:30PM -0700, Ashish Gulhati wrote:

> > Maybe I'm missed it too. As HashCash isn't using a ledger, how do you
> > prevent double spend?
>
> The vault keeps track of spent coins and prevents double spends.

Fair enough.

Is there a way to prevent a Vault from minting counterfeit HashCash, or
do users have to trust the Vault?

> > I think it's dead in the water if users need to
> > trust a third party - that's the whole reason why Bitcoin was a game
> > changer.
>
> A HashCash vault requires much less trust than most web wallets as it doesn’t
> require ID, can’t track transactions, and can’t block the funds of targeted
> users, or block specific transactions.

Can you explain further on what you mean by this? Please correct me if
I'm wrong, but from my understanding, a user's HashCash is associated
with a single Vault. If so, wouldn't this mean that a Vault *could*
block a transfer out? Moreso if a Vault were to go offline.

Alfie

--
Alfie John
https://www.alfie.wtf