[Cryptography] cryptography Digest, Vol 50, Issue 16

Grant Schultz gschultz at kc.rr.com
Mon Jun 19 22:26:56 EDT 2017

Bear wrote:
> So....  This might actually be mechanically possible, if complex. I
> imagine a device with a set of message wheels (20 alphabetic rotors?)
> under a narrow window so you could read one row. Visible on the opposite
> side through a different window but probably on the same axle, would be
> a set of key rotors (another 20 alphabetic rotors?).  Each rotor would
> be settable with a thumb wheel, and there'd be a winder and a counter on
> one end.

Thought about using paper tape (M. K. Shen), but (as with printing
visual crypto transparencies) the tape would not be easy to punch. I
don't have access to any vintage computer equipment either.

The pairs of 20 rotors, with one set showing from each side of the unit
sounds promising, though.  (Might need some 3-D printer time...)  I had
even considered that  for use with the one-time pad, where one set of
wheels would be for the key, and one for plain/ciphertext.  You would
reset the keywheels to "AAAA...", then enter the plaintext on the
plain/cipher wheels.  Moving the plain/cipher wheels would _not_ cause
the keywheels to move.  Then you would move the keywheels forward, based
on the one-time key. Moving the key wheels _would_ step the plain/cipher
wheels by the same amount.  This would add the key characters to the
plaintext characters (modulo 26), leaving the ciphertext on those
wheels. (The keywheel window could have a cover to prevent accidentally
flashing it to the camera on the phone.)

The internal gearing would not be as complex, and would only connect the
cipher/plaintext and key rotors of one pair at a time.  Your auto-keyed
cipher idea would require some mechanical engineering that is beyond my
capabilities.

Grant