[Cryptography] Brainstorming for encrypted text messaging ideas...with a twist

Grant Schultz gschultz at kc.rr.com
Sat Jun 17 20:04:11 EDT 2017

On 06/15/2017 07:32 PM, Grant Schultz wrote:

>> What if the encryption method was the one-time pad?  Naively, you could
>> carry a one-time pad on paper, along with a pencil.  You would perform
>> the en/decryption manually, and type the message into the phone.  (Of
>> course the smartphone with its cameras would be in your pocket during
>> en/decryption.)
> bear at sonic.net wrote:

    It would work, but you'd want something less unwieldy than a
    one-time pad. I think you would want some kind of purely mechanical
    device, so that users could verify for themselves that it is
    unhacked and unhackable.  All parts visible.

Yes, the all-parts-visible is the important aspect.
> And neither of these methods gets around the difficulty of typing random
> characters into a smartphone.
That's why I was aiming for a device that could show a line of text on a
physical display (perhaps a stack of wheels of some sort), so that the
ciphertext could just be photographed right off the device.