[Cryptography] Brainstorming for encrypted text messaging ideas...with a twist

Grant Schultz gschultz at kc.rr.com
Fri Jun 16 18:59:57 EDT 2017

On 6/16/2017 10:29 AM, james hughes wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2017, at 7:32 PM, Grant Schultz <gschultz at kc.rr.com
> <mailto:gschultz at kc.rr.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Besides pencil and paper, is there any sort of mechanism you can
>> envision that would aid in en/decryption in conjunction with a
>> one-time pad, where (with the plaintext and key hidden) you could
>> then photograph the ciphertext (perhaps showing on wheels of some
>> sort), and transmit the photograph.  On the other end, the ciphertext
>> could be manually entered into the recipient's device and decrypted.
>>  This would bypass the tedium of typing random letters into the
>> smartphone.
>
> Visual Cryptography.
My understanding of visual cryptography is that it requires the use of
preprinted transparencies that can be held near or over the transmitted
graphic to form the plain visual message.  The problem is how to get the
transparency near the phone's display without the camera being able to
snap a pic of it during that process. Furthermore, it requires software
to generate the visual patterns and create the ciphertext.  But yes, I
did consider that technology.